Saturday, January 15, 2011

Update on goal for 2011

Something I failed to leave out of my “Goal for 2011” was that a big part of this “goal” was due to the fact that I was “let go” from one of my part-time jobs.  At first I was quite embarrassed as I have never “failed” at a job before, but after letting it sink in for a month, I’ve realized that not only was it not really my fault, but it is a blessing in disguise.

When I first went back to work part-time in July, I was working for the older woman in Medina.  Then, her son (Chairman of the Space Needle) needed an assistant – so they looked to me to fill in my other 3 days to make it full time. After a 20 minute interview – I was offered the job. So far so good.  Well, I should have asked more questions, I should have found out more about the job and what it entailed, I should have known that I was way under qualified for the job.  Shoulda, coulda, woulda….

I won’t go into details, but at my 60-day review – it was agreed that this job was not a good fit. They asked me to stick around until they could find a replacement – and train the replacement (talk about awkward). And to keep me motivated, they would up my pay and give me a decent severance……that’s when the light bulb turned on.  After taking a hit to my pride, and a LONG talk with Shane – we decided this was actually a great opportunity to pay off all of our debt.  All of that “extra money” that I would be making during the time they were finding a replacement, we would use for debt. And so far –we have.

I am proud to report that since the Goal for 2011 post, we have already paid off  $4,576.58 in debt and we are only half-way there.  It’s bittersweet to make those payments – but once it’s done (and there is no turning back) it’s a HUGE weight off of our shoulders.

Although finances are VERY personal and confidential – I am so glad that I told family and friends what we are doing and posted on my blog about it – it has really kept me accountable.  I am very proud of what we have accomplished thus far and I can’t wait to make the post that all debt has been paid off. Stay tuned…..

3 comments:

Aron & Shelby said...

GOOD JOB!! It is so hard to pay off debt but once you are done you will feel such relief! Be proud of yourselves!!

Anna Minzel said...

I love talking about the debt we paid off, it is a great accomplishment. And I am a HUGE believer in things working out for a reason. There is always a plan...

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear about the job, but everything really does happen for a reason. Way to go on tackling your goal and paying off your debt!