Friday, September 16, 2011

The Heat is on...

3 or so years ago my best friend, Ellisa, introduced me to a little thing called "Hot Yoga".  At the time, I loved my gym; 24 hour fitness - so it was a hard sell for my friend. I loved the elliptical, the treadmill, my classes, the weights. I loved all of this because I was able to work out at the gym with my freshly new husband. We had just spent the last year "training" together for our wedding - and I was in the best shape of my life.  Ellisa talked me into going, pretty much pulling me by the hair, I even trying to get out of it by saying I didn't have a Yoga mat. She lent me her spare. So I went.

I purchased the "New Student Rate" of a month unlimited for $20. I hated it.  I almost puked. I had a headache afterwards. And the sweat....I felt gross.  I never went back. Ellisa went on to be an instructor and her body is simply amazing. Every time she and I visit, I can't help but stare at her beautifully sculpted body and wish I had her legs.

Let's fast forward to present day. I have since had 2 babies and have "hit the gym" a total of 2 times in the last 365 days. The last time ending after 10 minutes because Jackson lost his shit in the gym daycare. Shane still goes a few times a week, but I dread it now. I think it's because I need structure. I need someone to tell me what to do, when to do it and how to do it. Now, when I walk into the gym by myself I just stare at the elliptical, like it's foreign.  The weights overwhelm me. I miss my husband by my side. He was my instructor.

I'm not going lie, I have lost all of my baby weight and then some. But my body is different, it's soft and my old clothes just don't fit the same.  For the last few months I can't help but think about Ellisa and how I want to be sculpted like her.  So I took the plunge - I called the owner of the Hot Yoga studio I previously attended and asked if they would honor my "new student" rate from 3 years ago.  With no hesitation, they did. Score, a month of free Hot Yoga.

The studio is less than 1 mile from my house, and they have classes that start at 8:15pm - perfect for this guilt ridden mama that can't stand to be away from her kids.  8:00pm is my babies bedtime, so it's a win-win.

When I told Ellisa I was thinking about trying Hot Yoga again, she instantly told me to try out the Power/Vinyasa class. She said that I would love it - that it's more my style.  I met my friends Jenny and Shawna on Tuesday, August 23rd for my "first" class and I was instantly in love. I walked out of the class completely covered in sweat and felt 10 pounds lighter.  I have a new lease on life, and feel 100% confident in the exercise program for myself.  Over the last few weeks, Shane and I have talked about how we could afford for me to do Hot Yoga. It's a LOT more expensive than my gym membership - and it's a hard pill to swallow for something I don't "need".  However, being the amazing husband that he is, Shane constantly reminds me how I "need" me time. I need time away, for myself, to regroup, focus on myself and take care of my mind, body and soul.  This will be it. This will be my time - and it's worth every penny.

I took a "before" photo on August 23rd so that I can compare how I looked then, and I'll take an "after" picture right before we go to Mexico in January.  I can't wait to show my readers the difference. I can already tell a difference in the way I carry myself, the way I move and how I breathe.

Thank you Ellisa. As always, you are a true inspiration.

No comments: