Wednesday, November 18, 2009

One Year Ago Today.....

.....our lives changed forever. We discovered we were pregnant with our first child.

The story goes a little something like this......

Shane and I had been trying to conceive for around 8 months. We made a pact to each other (well, me more than Shane) that I would always take a pregnancy test with Shane by my side so that we could see the results together. Month after month after month of negative tests, we started to lose hope.....and the pact.

On the morning of November 18, 2008, Shane woke up and did his normal routine, shower, coffee and iron his clothes. After he got out of the shower, I woke up out of a dead sleep and realized, OMG, I am 2 days late, but as I did every month, I convinced myself it was a fluke as I did not want to disappoint myself. Later that day, I had plans to have lunch with a very good friend of mine, that was also on the TTC (trying to conceive) path. So she knew my cycle, and she KNEW I was 2 days late. I had a feeling that the first question she would ask me is, "Have you tested yet?" Well, being the person that I am, I didn't want to show up without an answer - so I got up out bed and went to test. (First morning urine is the best to test with - it's not diluted).

Blurry eyed and half asleep I took the pregnancy test, I grabbed the first one out of my stash (which happened to be the most expensive one - the digital). As I was done doing my thing, I set it on the counter - and immediately, the hour glass started flashing (I could see it out of the corner of my blurry eye). Not even 30 seconds later, it stopped flashing........(every other month, it took MINUTES).

PREGNANT!

At first my stomach dropped, then I thought I was going to puke, then I got butterflies. My legs instantly turned into jello and when I tried to scream, I had no voice; I was paralyzed with excitement! As soon as I regained stability, denial set it. "This can't be right" I told myself - this last month I didn't take my temperature, I didn't use OPK's (Ovulation Predictor Kits) and I didn't chart; maybe my blurry/sleepy eyes are playing tricks on me! Then I thought there is only ONE way to find out if this is right - go ask my husband. It was a mad dash to get from our bathroom to where Shane was ironing his clothes, the guest bedroom (which I made the nursery). My feet felt like they weighed 100 pounds each - I could not get there quickly enough! I stumbled in and Shane gave me this look like, "What are you doing up?" I flung the pregnancy test in his face and said, "WHAT DOES THIS SAY? DOES IT SAY WHAT I THINK IT SAYS???" Shane looked at the test at first with disbelief, then looked at me, then looked back at the test and instantly got a huge smile on his face and then broke into tears. He grabbed me, kissed me, picked me up and we both just sobbed and sobbed with an occasional, "We're pregnant!".

I am literally crying as I am writing this, tears all over my desk. It was such an emotional day for the both of us as we had tried to start a family for 8 months - and each month being disappointed. Shane kept reassuring me that it will happen when it's supposed to happen, but it just seemed like it never would. I am so glad it happened when it did, because we have the most amazing little boy I could ever ask for. He is so precious, lovable, kissable, smart, cute, adorable and everything I could have ever wanted for my child.

Besides our wedding day, it was the happiest day of my life, the day I found out I was going to be a mother.