Monday, August 23, 2010

ER Trip #2

Since our first trip to the ER at 2am on Wednesday morning, Jackson’s road to recovering hasn’t been as smooth as we had hoped.  Wednesday afternoon, he woke up from his nap with a 102.5 fever, Thursday, he woke up from his nap with 101.5 fever. He’s not eating, taking 3 naps a day and overall is SUPER fussy. And when I say fussy, I mean he will just walk through the house crying – for no reason (well, the reason is, is that he is sick). 

Shane stayed home from work Wednesday-Friday, we didn’t leave the house once –we were quarantined. We wanted Jackson to get better, and the best way to do that is to keep him home and rest.

Then on Saturday, right when we thought Jackson was making progress - he woke up with about 80% of his body covered in what looked like a non-raised rash.  It was all over his neck, chest, stomach and back. I have never seen anything like this. I immediately called the Nurse Consultant at Group Health.  Of course, she scared me half to death by telling me to take him into Urgent Care ASAP and to keep him in the car with daddy while I check him in because he may have the measles…..MEASLES PEOPLE!  Terrified, we literally hauled ass.

Once we arrived, a nurse came out to the car to inspect Jackson  - definitely not measles and she advised us to come in. Turns out, it could be 1 of 2 things. A. It’s a rash that goes along with his viral infection, basically signaling that the viral infection is coming to an end or 2. It’s a bad reaction to the amoxicillin he was on to treat his ear infection.  The doc looked at his ear – infection was gone, so she advised that he stop taking the amoxicillin, keep him home and rest up.

So we did just that. Kept him home all day, and rested up. He was a bit fussy all day, but by today, the rash is already clearing up. 

I already feel like pros going into the ER twice in one week…..I better get used to this – I have a boy!

IMG_4754 IMG_4757 IMG_4761 IMG_4763 IMG_4766

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Yup, that definitely looks like an allergic reaction to amoxicillin. Same thing happened to Jayden right before Jaxson was born. A nurse did the same thing and scared us by telling us that Jayden had the chicken pox and would not be allowed around the new baby... yeah don't tell that to a woman who is 38-39 weeks preggo!

Another nurse called me back after I freaked out and asked me about medications so I told her he was on amoxicillin for a double ear infection and he'd been on it before with no problems. She said she'd bet money it was an allergic reaction and to stop immediately. We did and the rash was completely gone within 48 hours.

Jayden now uses augmentin for ear infections and we've listed penicillin-based meds as an allergy hazard in Jayden's medical charts. I don't know if it will help you to cross-reference, but I blogged about Jayden's scenario (w/pictures) here if you want to look: http://theandresens.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html.

I've been there, so I know how scary it is!!

Katy said...

OMG I need to send you a picture of Logan. SAME EXACT RASH! He got it after taking amoxicillan for an ear infection! Isn't it the most frightening looking thing you've ever seen?? I still shudder when I think about it. I'm so sorry you've all had such a rough week, I really hope he is on the mend!