Saturday, August 21, 2010

HELP – I am closet challenged

Since becoming a mom, I have to admit that I have not really bought myself any wow outfits. By wow-outfits, I mean anything that stands out as sexy, cute, ready to wear on a night out on the town. Whenever going “out on the town” I always stick with what is safe, what I call “old faithful” my standard jeans and a cute top. 

I guess it’s because any extra money I have I want to spend on my house, my son, or to my savings account. If I see a cute top, I’ll buy it – but it better be under $10 or it gets skipped over. Also, I feel like I am in that interim stage of I’m too young to shop in the misses department,  but too old to be wearing Forever 21 gear. I LOVE the clothes in the Pulse section of Macy’s – but one glance at the price tag of an $80 cotton tank top made me run to the clearance section at Value Village. 

So my birthday is coming up, and although I probably won’t have a huge party or anything – I think I deserve an awesome outfit to wear out on the town with my husband. So here’s where I need YOUR help – what do I wear?  I hate dresses –HATE THEM. So don’t suggest a dress unless it’s floor length and covers my RCL’s (Rhinoceros Charging Legs). I want something fun, flirty, sexy – but nothing too YOUNG for me. I am a mom, and I love that about myself – but I won’t be caught dead in mom jeans.

Leave a comment – suggest places to shop, outfits to look for, things that you like to wear…….I need help!!!!

3 comments:

The Meek Family said...

I think some dark denim trouser style jeans with a fun pretty top maybe in your favorite color or with some feminie detailing, with a fun long necklace and maybe a fitted jacket on top with some heels...possibly peep toe or something?? heels and great fitting jeans always make me feel great :-) could try Nordstrom Rack maybe?? you could also do skinny jeans and a more tunic style top but not sure if you are into that look..

Anonymous said...

I totally know how you feel! I highly recommend MAURICES!!!!!! Its at the North Bend Outlet mall...Perfect selection for the too-old-for-Forever 21-crowd-but too-young-for-Misses-section!

They have in stlye, affordable, GREAT clothes!!! I would love to go with you or meet you there! Lets go! :)

Unknown said...

I'm the same way! I would so much rather buy my daughter a cute new outfit than myself. Try Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft. I buy a lot of my clothes from there. They are not too young, but not frumpy and old lady-ish. They can be a bit pricey, but have AWESOME sales. And I think it is important to come to terms with the fact that, as we are mothers and more mature now, we don't spend tons of our money on filling our closets with the latest and greatest styles. So it's okay to spend a bit more on one or two really great go-to outfits. I love dresses, so I make sure that I have a day dress and an evening dress, as well as a day and evening pant outfit. I usually go to the Ann Taylor websites and just buy a whole outfit that they have created under the "Looks we love" section. I do this once a season-ish so that I can feel good when I get dressed up. It can be so frustrating to have to go somewhere and not feel like you look good in anything you have to wear. I say splurge on yourself a little! Good luck! And Happy Birthday!