From the post below regarding my job, most of you now know that I stay home with Jackson and Kea. It’s always been my dream to do this, and now that I have the opportunity to do it, I have to admit, I’m kind of lost.
Lost in that these babies are growing and changing every day, and I find myself constantly questioning if I am doing enough to keep up with their curiosity, learning and development. I have this HUGE gift that allows ME to be the one to teach them things and expand their brains – all while loving them and in my home. So why am I so stumped?
What should I do? They have pretty consistent eating/napping schedules – and most days I get about 2 hours of one on one time with each baby. And if we are lucky, about 2 hours of time that they are together.
So moms out there – I need your help. What else besides reading, playing, exercising, story time, and music time can I do? I thought walks would be nice once summer arrived, but I just looked at the 10 day forecast……10 straight days of SHOWERS…..great.
5 comments:
Showers showers more showers. I am so hating the weather right now, especially with an outdoor party planned for Sat. WAHHHH! Anyway, have you looked up free baby stuff at your local museums/chidrens centers/libraries? Sometimes that is fun. I am not much help. Most days I am pretty bored of doing the same things!
you could try free story time at libraries, there is happy hour swim time at mlt pool from 3-4 every day for $2, play at edmonds beach on nice days..that's all I got right now...i have a hard time keeping my own kids busy :-)
I am all about the walks!!!! Showing them the world, nature, rain, sunshine, grass, water, the good and the bad!!! They would love the fresh air (even if they have a rain cover between them and the elements!)...
Us Seattleites cant let this crappy weather get in our way, or we'll never leave the house! haha....
They'd probably love Alki, Greenlake, Marymoor, or Kelsey Creek Park! There are other kids to watch, animals to see, swaying trees, pretty flowers, and the soothing feeling of the stroller they will love to! :)
Even the slough trail is great-cycilists flying by, and occassional person fishing, lots of other walkers...and you'd be surprised, even when it's pouring....there are plenty of people out! (that's when you now they're from Seattle!)
Hopefully nicer weather is to come???!?!?!? Hopefully!
First of all I think you're probably doing a fabulous job encouraging those little growing minds.
I really think it just takes being there and taking our kids with us where we go as well. Just think when you are holding babies they see things through your point of view and things we take forgranted are totally stimulating for them. Also, get on the floor with them and see things from their level as well. Point things out and start teaching names and about things early on, way before they will start talking. Singing totally stimulates the brain. We love walks as well and I love to point out colors, sounds, shapes and objects.
Also, my husband used to make fun of me because I'd talk to the kids like adults. I didn't do it on purpose, it's just the way I talk, and I wasn't against using the baby sing/song voice but I'm talking about using big words. But then they develope their vocabulary also early on and that is pretty huge. Of course they get that from reading too.
If I think of any toys out there that are great for them, I would think of ones that encourage imaginative play. It's funny that people are starting to talk more about this like it's a new thing when when we were little, that's all we had:)
By the way, I saw you saying you needed a job on facebook. Is everything alright?
I have the children's schedule for the local libraries in my town and surrounding towns. We go to story time and sing-a-longs every week. There are also indoor play gyms at a couple of malls around here. And I am part of a mothers group and all the babies are around the same age so we get together once a week at each other's houses for a play session.
Post a Comment