Valentine’s Day has never been a big “holiday” at the Makanani house. Flowers die and God knows I don’t need anymore chocolate to add to my diet. A little background (and funny stories) are the stories of mine and Shane’s Valentine’s Day adventures. I won’t share the long version, but rather let you decide as to why Valentine’s Day is a big fat FAIL in our lives:
V-Day 2006: I sent Shane flowers at work, he thought I was crazy and didn’t even call to say thank you. To his defense, I was stalking him and thought it would be a romantic gesture = FAIL!
V-Day 2007: Shane sent me flowers while at work via “Proflowers.com”. He saw the picture on the website and thought they were beautiful. Little did he know (or read the fine print) the flowers arrive IN A BOX with the vase enclosed in the box for the recipient to put together his/herself. That wasn’t what was disappointing though….the box ‘o flowers were DOA. That’s right, they were DEAD ON ARRIVAL = FAIL!
V-Day 2008: Since flowers did us wrong the last 2 years we amicably decided NOT to get each other flowers, but rather go out to a nice dinner. Since I am normally the one that plans dinners out, I asked that Shane take this one on. No problem he said – so I didn’t hassle him one bit. 5pm on Valentine’s Day we get in the car. I ask, “So, where are our reservations?” He says, “We are going to go wherever the night takes us.” I tried REALLY hard not to overreact, but after 2.5 hours of driving around and going into EVERY restaurant North of Seattle, we were pretty much told there would be a 2 hour wait at every restaurant. We came home with Pizza Hut= FAIL!
V-Day 2009: Hoping Shane had learned his lesson from the PREVIOUS Valentine’s Day I thought I’d give him a chance to redeem himself. In a nutshell, what happened in 2008, happened in 2009. So we ordered pizza. Again. We decided from here on out, Valentine’s Day will be like any other NORMAL day. We will forgo flowers, chocolate and fancy dinners and just do what works for us – order pizza and stay home. FAIL turned SUCCESS!
2010 was a success and so will 2011.
Today, Jackson and I drove down to Shane’s work and had lunch with him – nothing fancy, just burgers and fries. Shane was having kind of a rough day, so he text me after we left saying that us coming down made his day (SUCCESS!). On the way home we stopped at Trophy Cupcakes and picked up some yummy treats (mostly for me & Malia). Shane will be home in an hour or so and the plan is to order pizza….maybe from Papa John’s, or maybe we will take it up a notch this year and get our favorite, Sparta’s.
No matter what Valentine’s Day has been easy and comfortable and just the way we like it. We love each other 365 days a year and today is no different. I am more in love with my husband today than ever and I know I will love him even more tomorrow. We have created a son that we both absolutely cherish and adore and we have a daughter that we haven’t even met yet and love her more than words can describe. Life is good.
Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment