Friday, April 10, 2009

Monthly Update

Although my beautiful wife does a weekly (sometimes daily) update, I like to take a less is more approach and do it once a month ;) So this past weekend our friends Jeremy, Diandra, and their son Logan came over to help put together baby furniture which I have to say, is MUCH nicer than what I get to sleep on. Jackson has his own closet and dresser for all his stuff. I on the other hand have half a dresser and a closet, and my stuff is obviously 10 times bigger than his. I'm not jealous of my son, but it's pretty close;)

As we were putting together the sticks of furniture one by one, I started thinking about all the questions that most people wonder about their kids; things like, "What will he look like? Will he have my mannerisms or his mom's? Will he like sports?" And for the first time since Brianne told me we were pregnant, I was a little terrified. Not at the idea of having a baby mind you, but at the thought of how instrumental I am in Jackson's life. ANyone who knows me can see that I have confidence, but I've also made some mistakes in life, mistakes that I want to teach my son not to do. Every parent goes into this with little to no experience and I know things are going to be difficult, but being a man and being responsible for teaching my son all he needs to know to be a successful, loving person seems like a challenge. One that I am definitely up for.

I want him to open doors for women, treat elders with respect, give 100% into everything he does, things like that. I want him to have friends, ride bikes, build forts, get dirty. I want him to swim in the Ocean, run a marathon, and go to a good college. As I was putting together the last section of his crib, I realized that I may not have all the answers, but my wife and I are good people and we come from good families. My son won't have just me to learn from, he'll have his Mom, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. I may be the person he sees everyday, but I have an army of people who want my son to be the best that he can, and that realization gives me comfort and hope.

3 comments:

Cheris said...

What a sweet entry Shane! I love that you are involved with this blog!

Anonymous said...

Shane, you brought tears to my eyes... I think it's totally natural to feel all of those things! You'll be an incredibile Daddy..... With Brianne at your side, the two of you will be an amazing team!! I'm so excited for you guys!!

fat girl said...

Shane,

You and Brianne are going to make fabulous parents. Just the fact that you take the time to think about these things is evidence of that in and of itself.
No child will be more loved.

Hugs to you and B, and I can't wait to meet my new nephew.