So today started out like any normal day; I woke up, took Kona out to pee, ate my cereal and checked my email. I contemplated going to the gym around 11am, and thought about hitting up Michael's as I have a 40% off coupon there.....well let's just say I am glad I didn't go.......
Around 2pm as I was laying down for my daily nap when the doorbell rang. It wasn't just 1 ring, it was like 4 rings and like normal Kona started barking like crazy. I NEVER have unexpected guests just "stop by" and without having a peep-hole on my front door, I just cracked it a bit to see who it was.....no one was there. At first I thought it was either someone having the wrong house, some kid playing a prank or worse - a sales guy. So I ran upstairs to the guest bedroom which over looks our driveway. I looked to see if there were any unfamiliar cars in the driveway and/or road - nothing. The doorbell rang AGAIN, same as before, and I thought, "no way am I going to answer the door!" So I just hung out at the top of the stairs for a moment....until I heard some ruckus at the back sliding glass door.
My first thought was, "Ohhhhhh duh they are doing the exterior inspections this week!" (We received a letter last week from our builder saying that they were going to inspect the exterior of all of the units - but it was not necessary for anyone to be home. I figured they were ringing the doorbell just to let me know they were here - and that's what the ruckus was at the back door). Well the ruckus got more intense and rather than sounding like they were checking out the foundation, it sounded like they were trying VERY hard to open the door.
I ran down the stairs and pulled back the blinds to find a young man (that I did NOT recognize) using a CROWBAR to get the back door open!!!!! As soon as we made eye contact, he bolted! I immediately called 911 and 3 police vehicles were here within 2 minutes.
I'm okay and although shaken I can't help but think of what "could have" happened. What if I had just gotten out of the shower from my work out only to meet face to face with the intruder INSIDE my home? What would he have done? What would I have done? What if I wasn't home and he had taken all the things we had worked SO HARD for? What if he had hurt/killed Kona because he was barking at him? Honestly, as much as I wish this didn't happen, I can say that I'm glad it happened THIS way and not any other way.
We have already notified the builder and all of our neighbors - 1 of them indicated that they saw 2 unfamiliar guys "casing" the property out last week and then Shane realized he saw the same 2 guys walking around doing the same thing. I am beginning to wonder if they chose our house because we don't have any ADT signs out front.....So tomorrow I am going to get an ADT system - I don't care how much it is a month. I am going to get another lock on my front door, I am going to install a lock on our garage door. It's one thing to protect myself, Shane and Kona - but we've got Jackson arriving in under 4 months, there is no limit to what I will do to protect our baby.
So for those reading this - there are scum of the earth out there. The druggies looking to get their next fix and will stop at NOTHING to steal other people's belongings & break into their homes to get what THEY need. That man was selfish - and I hope he gets his karma someday soon.
6 comments:
I am so glad you are ok!! That must have been so scary!!
I'm so glad that you're safe and like you said, it happened THIS way and not another. Were you able to give the police a description?
Holy shit Bri! I think I would have peed my pants, lol!! I am so glad that you are okay, and that it worked out like it did! I hope that they caught him!
OH MY GOSH. My heart was pounding just reading this!! Thank God you guys are all okay. And thank you for sharing because it helps keep everyone on the look out!
Man B! That is scary, but I think you did everything right! We dont' have a peep hole either...I think we need to get one. I know that they have ones with a camera in it so that your kids can see who is at the door too. I believe they are 200$. Recently we have had this "stalker" guy and it was really scary there for awhile. hopefully he will be in jail soon. people are sick!
Wow!! That definitely is scary!! I don't know if it's just this area (I live just up the street from you I think), but I know our apartment complex is notorious for break-ins, thefts, etc. A couple months ago two teenage boys tried to break into my car when I was standing only feet away from it! Those same two kids also tried to break into someone's apartment while they were home.
I'm glad to hear that everything is okay and luckily you were home to scare them away. Hopefully that will be the last of them that you see...
Post a Comment