Saturday, June 5, 2010

Kickin’ the Binkie

As new parents, we are told a few things to always keep in our back pockets:

1. Never wake a sleeping baby.
2. Swaddling is your best friend.
3. A pacifier will always save you.

All of these things have held true, and helped us a TON when Jackson was a newborn. Well, now that Jackson is 10 months old, we obviously had to kick #2 considering he will break out of a swaddle blanket faster than you can say swaddle. And now that he is talking more, #3 is going to the waste-side as well.

I have to admit, I am that mom that CAN NOT STAND seeing a toddler walking around talking with a binkie in their mouth. Judge if you will, but I can’t stand it, and to me, the younger they are, the easier it is to break a habit. We are starting at 10 months old.

It may be cruel to some, but in all honesty, Jackson isn’t completely attached to his binkie – only at night time will he lose his shit if it’s gone missing.  So, on Tuesday, I decided to do a little test without telling Shane…..give Jackson the binkie ONLY when he naps and goes to bed. I can’t believe how well he did!  He went all day without even noticing it was gone, and as soon as I gave it to him for his nap/bedtime, it was like he KNEW it was time to go to sleep.

Even on Wednesday night, Shane said, “It seems like Jackson is more talkative…” and that’s when I told him about my test. He agreed that it makes sense to slowly wean Jackson off the binkie, and eventually, pack them up for the next baby. I love that I get to hear my son babble a lot more, see his cute smile and mouth full of spaced out teeth and feel his slobbery kisses when he goes to hug me…..all in which I didn’t experience with the binkie in his mouth…..

Well, here we are on Saturday and Jackson is still doing good with his binkie only for sleeping. I am going to try and take it away for naps when he hits 11 months, and then for good at 1 year.

Wish me luck!

RIP Binkies July 2009-June 2010

IMG_4447 IMG_1223

1 comment:

The Meek Family said...

brianne, i've read sometimes it helps if you replace the binkie (which is a comfort object to them) with another comfort object like a stuffed animal or a blanket and when you would normally give them the binkie, give them the other object instead...just an idea :-) good luck!