So I have a whiteboard at work where I started a "countdown" until Jackson's birth that started at 150 days. That 150 day marker has ticked all the way down to 42 short days! In that time, we have had baby showers, birthing classes, doctor's appointments, birthdays, a wedding anniversary, graduations, and countless other events. The NCAA tournament, NBA Finals, MLB season to this point, and other sporting events as well. Time truely does fly and in a short 42 days our son will be here. It boggles my mind how fast time goes and how many memories we will share with our family for the next 40-50 years. From when I started the countdown until now, just look at how much has happened, the next 42 days will be a breeze. ;)
Another thing on my mind is the role I will play during labor. Not only am I there just because I'm the Dad, but I'll be counted on for physical, mental, and emotional support. It's something that I thought I could just "show up" and do. I mean, I know my wife, I know what she needs in order to feel taken care of, but preparing for labor is something that I have to get ready for.
Before I go to sleep most nights I'm "visualizing" what I'll need to do when Brianne goes into to labor. How I'll have to be a pillar of calmness and be there to support her with whatever she needs. Ice chips, check! Foot massage, check! Breathing support, check! Soothing CD, check! You get the point... My whole reason for bringing this up is that just as Brianne is preparing herself for labor, I have to do the same. It's just like how I used to prepare for basketball games. It takes practice, visualization, and execution. So for the next 42 days, I'll be getting ready for the biggest "game" of my life! There is so much more at stake and I know comparing your 1st child's birth to a game sounds a little juvenille, but I wanna be there on the day Brianne tells me she's in labor, ready to go!
1 comment:
You'll do great! Just listen to what she wants and needs, and respond. Good luck!
Post a Comment