Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Two of a kind?!?!?!?

Well, as my wife illustrated below, our son tried to pull a fast one on us and come a smidge early. Being that he has one parent that is extremely impatient and another that has "ADD," who could blame him ;) All kidding aside, what a freakin day! You wake up, go to work, have your coffee, make some phone calls, head home, AND THEN RUSH TO THE HOSPITAL?!?!?!? Not a typical day for me to say the least. I have to say that the doctors and nurses at Evergreen were fantastic. They made us feel comfortable and tried to comfort us at every turn, letting us know that Jackson was doing great and if he came today he'd be fine...

The reason I wrote two of a kind is because I was a pre-term baby. I was 5 weeks early and weighed 3lbs. 14oz. which is less than what my son weighs now. Like father like son I guess.

Throughout this process I have definitely learned a lot. And it made me appreciate the fact that we have two very supportive families. I had phone calls every time I looked at my phone, offers to visit, offers to bring dinner, etc. Brianne and I just appreciate having families that are willing to drop what their doing to help us.. It's an amazing feeling.

On another note, a small part of me wanted Jackson to come early, but like Brianne wrote, not this early! I also never took into account that we wouldn't be able to take him home if he came this early for at least 1-2 weeks. I found myself staring at the machine my family was hooked up to saying, "OK good, there's another contraction Jackson could be on his way." Then the next moment I was thinking, "Oh shit, please no more contractions buddy, I want to take you home with us. It was a crazy process that was only comforted by the bag of cheetos I ate..

Brianne and I also look at this experience as a mini-practice run. We obviously are excited and ready for him to come, but we were a little unprepared for our hospital run. We had 1 bag packed and that was all Brianne's stuff (which I think was packed 5 weeks earlier ;) I didn't have any of my stuff ready, no sleeping bag, no tripod or camera bag, no soothing CD's or the Lord of the Rings trilogy! I was sitting in the hospital thinking, "Man, I don't even have a change of clothes." So yesterday, I stayed home with Brianne to take care of her, and took the opportunity to get a little more prepared. We still have some stuff to do, but we're definitley more prepared. People always say your children teach you things, but I guess our little guy is starting just a tad early ;)

1 comment:

The Story of Us said...

Our son is going to be just like you Shane! Not only will he look like you, but he will want to be just like his daddy. You will be his hero!!!