So yesterday was a pretty scary day. Well, I'll start from the beginning - Sunday.
I woke up like normal, just really tired and exhausted from a busy day on Saturday - I started to feel some menstrual-like cramps, but didn't think much of them. I figured I just had a busy day on Saturday and that my body was just telling me to take it easy - so I did. The cramps were on and off and the pain level was nearly non-existent. I woke up yesterday feeling fine and just getting my morning started as usual and then the cramps started again, still not very painful. I figured now was the time to tell Shane & call the doctor - just as a precaution. Shane of course, freaked out, but I told him that I had a call into the doctor and was waiting on the nurse to call me back. The nurse called me back, asking me tons of questions and came back with the assessment that I just pushed myself a little too far last week and I just needed to rest. So rest I did. However, as SOON as I hung up with the doctor's office, I began experiencing some contractions. I figured they were just Braxton-Hicks contractions because they weren't painful and it was just my belly tightening up -plus they were very sporadic.
Then I started to write them down.....they started coming more frequently, like every 5-10 minutes, but still no consistency. I called the nurse back and told her what I was experiencing and she asked me to come into the office as soon as possible. Shane had just walked in the door, so we packed up some stuff (my hospital bag), got in the car and went to Evergreen (it was about 3:45pm). We arrived at my doc's office and were immediately put into a room where they monitored both the baby's heartbeat and my contractions. The nurse confirmed my contractions averaging about 7-8 an hour. The good thing was that Jackson's heart rate looked great - so although I was concerned with the contractions - Jackson was doing good! The nurse spoke with the on-call doctor (my doc had the day off) and she wanted to do an internal exam. Good news is that Jackson is head down and ready to go. Bad news is that my cervix is 1cm dilated and 80% effaced - SHIT!
That's when the the doctor sent me down to Triage in the Family Maternity Center to get monitored. They basically did the same thing at first, monitor my contractions and Jackson's heart rate. We did this for about an hour and had the same results - contractions about every 8-10 minutes. So they gave me my first "pill" to try and stop the contractions - nifedipine. The nurse monitored me for an hour and the contractions did not stop - slowed down, but not stopping. So she then hooked me up to an IV and gave me a shot of terbutaline - again, monitored me for an hour. Although I had 2 contractions in this time, but by the time the hour was up, I hadn't had a contraction in more than 45 minutes. The terbualine worked! But the side effects suck - I got REALLY shaky, like I just had 5 espresso shots and 3 no-doz. Here's the kicker - my doctor said that to maintain my uterus NOT having contractions, I MUST take a dose of terbualine every 6 hours for the next 2 weeks. There was no question, give me the prescription.
So the doc called the prescription into Rite Aid and we went and got it. I must say, I can't believe I am going through this. There was always a little part of me that wanted Jackson to make his debut in this world a smidge early, but definitely not at 34 weeks. Both Shane and I asked EVERY nurse & doctor that worked on me, "What would happen if he came now?" They all said that he would be fine, but he would need to be in the NICU for a week or so for the following reasons A) His lungs wouldn't be developed and/or B) He wouldn't be able to feed normally. It's not that I didn't believe one person or the other, it was just that we both needed to hear it several times. We knew more than ever that he ABSOLUTELY NEEDS to stay inside me for the next 2 weeks. I need him to be able to breath, I need him to bond with his mommy & daddy for those first moments, minutes, hours & days he is in this world. I need him to breastfeed. I need him to know that his grandparents, aunties & uncles love him and want to hold him every chance they get. I need him to cook a little longer and I won't take it any other way.
So for the next 2 weeks I am taking the "shaky pills" and I am on bed rest. It will be the longest 2 weeks of my life, but I would do 2 months, even 2 years if it meant we get a healthy son in the end.
6 comments:
I'm here if you need ANYTHING at all. Lots of love and prayers coming your way. :)
Oh Brianne, I know this must have been so scary for you! With Taylor, my labor started at 34 weeks, and I was on hospital bedrest for a week and then the terb pills until 36 weeks, and then she was born pretty much as soon as I was off them, so just know that these pills work well and they will keep him in until he is ready to come out :)
With Cash, I was told that I might have him as early as 32 weeks, so my Dr. ordered steroid shots to help mature his lungs, just in case, and this made me feel so much better. Did you Dr. mention the possibility of those at all?
I'll be thinking of you, and hoping that these next few weeks pass quick and uneventfully for you. Love you!
I am crying reading this..... Just because I know how scary it is, & how worried you mustve been!!! But two things to keep in mind, IF he came now, although he'd be in the nicu, and it wouldn't be your ideal birth experience...at LEAST you know he'd be okay!!! AND, you guys are ready!!!
Look at Logan! He was a 34 week-er and he is just fine =)
I don't see you as the type to ask for anything, especially since Shane is so thoughtful...but I AM coming by. I have some stuff for you. You have no choice. I can drop it off and leave!
I'm thinking of you non-stop, and hoping Jackson stays put for at least 14 more days!!!
Sending big hugs your way!
Thank you so much ladies! Your support means more to me than you know!
April - they said if the terbualine did not work, they were going to move forward with Magnisium Sulfate and steriod shots. Since it did work (so far) we didn't have to go that route. I am just sitting pretty on bedrest, lots of water and taking the pills until 36 weeks.
Dee - you can stop by whenever you want! Logan will be a great reminder that I don't need to have any kind of panic attack. I know Jackson will be fine...I know it. Not my ideal situation, but I have said from Day 1 of this pregnancy to "Expect the Unexpected" and I am doing just that.
We have an appointment tomorrow to check him out (via ultrasound AND internal exam) so we will see how we are both doing. Fingers crossed!!!
Wow!! I can't even imagine... I had some contractions around that same point with Jayden but not enough for them to keep me at the hospital. As far as dilation and effacement goes, you could stay that way for weeks...with both boys I was 3cm and 90% before my labor even started, so hopefully that will reassure you there.
Hopefully the pills will work and, like others have said, even though it may not be ideal at least Jackson will be okay. Plus Evergreen is a great hospital and they'll take good care of him. :)
I know we aren't very close friends, but I do live nearby to you so please feel free to contact me if you need anything. I'd be more than happy to help anyone in need...
Hang in there!!
ah.. sweet pea you must've been so... scared! I went through the same thing with Sam. But it happened when i was 5-1/2 months! She was only 2.5 lbs at the time. So the doc put me on bedrest for 3-1/2 MONTHS! I could only sit up for 30 mins a day to eat dinner. It felt like a LONG time. But you know what it was WORTH it. I felt almost blessed because all i wanted to do is feel her rolling around in there and thats exactly what i got to do!! Little Jackson will get some nice bonding time with mommy, just a bit early :-) Everything will turn out okay sweetheart.
Post a Comment